Woo-wee, second week in a row that I have planned a weekly menu, gone grocery shopping, and COOKED. It feels great. I love the variety of food I’m eating, and that my son is eating. It’s nice to go to the refrigerator and have fresh, tasty choices. It’s awesome to know that when it’s time to make a meal, I have what I need. No more last minute trips to the grocery store!
- Rachael Ray’s Stuffed Cabbage Stoup (<- yes, that's "stoup". I guess it's a mixture of soup and stew. That Ray-Ray is so clever.) and Protein-Packed Grilled Cheese from Double Delicious!
- Teriyaki Chicken from Double Delicious!
- Jessica Seinfeld’s Perfect Halibut over Spinach
- Rachael Ray’s Black Bean and Corn Salad
- Peanut Butter & Jelly
- Grilled Cheese
- Raw veggies with bean spread (left over from Protein-Packed Grilled Cheese)
- Oatmeal with honey, nuts, and dried cranberries
- Cinnamon-Maple Quinoa from Double Delicious!
- Frosted Mini-Wheats (it will take a while to break this addiction)
List in hand, I headed out to Whole Foods for groceries. As soon as I got home from the store, I prepared the stuffed cabbage soup and the black bean and corn salad. For dinner, we had the soup. With the soup, I served Jessica Seinfeld’s Protein-Packed Grilled Cheese, which is basically a slice of bread with bean spread, shredded mozz cheese, warmed and melted in the toaster oven. I told my son it was “cheesy bread” and he devoured it. (and in a shocking surprise I found out he likes to sit and eat cannellini beans out of the can!) I thought it was pretty good, and I plan to serve the rest of the bean spread throughout the week with raw veggies.
I thought it would be fun to share pictures of the food I am making, but it turns out I am horrible at taking food pictures. I can make a delicious meal look like dog food. But here you go:
Stuffed Cabbage Stoup: This has cabbage, ground meat, tomatoes, rice (I used brown), and some herbs and spices. It’s super tasty and we froze half:
Black Bean and Corn Salad: This is good, but I thought it was going to be a meal, and it’s more like a salsa. It’s yummy and makes a ton. Next time I will half the recipe.
Last but not least, my husband looked in the freezer today and said, “Chicken nuggets and fish sticks. When was the last time J-Man had that for dinner?”
Oh yeah, baby, that’s what I’m talkin’ about.