Happy Kitty, Sleepy Kitty, Purr, Purr, Purr

This weekend has been very rough on my raw, wounded, scabby, sore, miserable, aching throat. The biggest problem is that since my husband and kids are here on the weekend, it’s next to impossible not to talk. I enjoy being around my family and want to participate in conversation! Also, if I try not to talk, I feel like people start to think I’m being rude. Like, I should do more than just nod when they talk. Or, when asked a question, I should answer with more than “mm-hmm” or “mm-mm”, both of which don’t hurt my throat at all for some reason. But you can only get so far with yes and no answers. I thought I could get by with whispering, but unfortunately, whispering hurts every bit as bad as shouting.

I did a pretty good job with my “vocal rest” today, but still my throat burns like I just swallowed a bottle of hydrochloric acid. (<- well, I assume that’s what this feels like anyway!) Even the little bit of talking I did took a real toll.

So, here I sit on Saturday night, children in bed, just trying to make the razor blades in my throat go away. Thank the Lord for two things playing a significant role in my survival right now:

My stash is running low. Gotta head to CVS tomorrow to restock!

Will someone come over and sing me “Soft Kitty”?

Spring is springing. Soon, gardening and landscaping will come to the forefront of my blog. It begins tomorrow as I am bringing my geraniums out for the spring. Yay!!!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Happy Kitty, Sleepy Kitty, Purr, Purr, Purr

  1. Hahaha, I totally remember that episode of Big Bang Theory, I love Sheldon!!

    Yay for spring! I will be planting flowers in our yard for the first time this year, so I’ll be interested to see your posts on gardening as I’m a newbie. The husband says no to hydrangeas, but I am SO planting some. They’re so southern and pretty.

  2. Cherry Lane says:

    Peas and leafy greens are going in the ground today!

    Your geranium probably needs some acclimatization time if you’ve been keeping it indoors. Put it outside for a few hours a day, gradually increasing. (If you overwintered in the garage, you can probably just set it out now. And don’t forget, while it looks and feels like spring now, we still have the possibility of a hard frost for the next month or so. So if you start leaving it outside overnight, watch that forecast!

    You have my permission to not talk to your plants this week. They will understand.

    • merf says:

      Putting them outside a few hours a day is a great idea. Thanks! (LOL about not talking to them. But they are such great listeners!) <- either that, or my talking is why my plants die so fast.

  3. Allison says:

    Spring cannot come soon enough!!! Hope you feel better soon. Being sick is never fun and I can imagine it is much worse, lack of rest when you have kids

  4. Okay, I can’t make you feel any better (at least you have “strong inside” drinks ;)) but I’ll tell yousomething that may cheer you up – now that you have the surgery behind you.

    Remember I told you that I had nose surgery a few years ago? I was the worst thing ever! When I was brought back from the surgery (rolled into the hospital room in a bed) my mom didn’t recognize me. Why? Well, first, because my whole face was taped so I looked like a mummy. Second, because my nose was so awfully stuffed with gauze bandages that the blood from the cuts could flow out of my nose, so it flew out of my eyes. I had bleeding eyes for around four days, and twice every hour I had to get up and wash it off because it was caking my eyes. I looked like living death. (I also felt that way.)

    Then, after two days, the doctor and a nurse came to take me to the treatment room. The nurse had a wheelchair, and I looked at it and said, “I don’t need that, I can walk.” And she replied, “Well, you’ll need it for the way back.” And so it was. In the treatment room, the doctor removed the bandages, and with them the new skin that had grown, and a stream of blood shot out of my nose. They gently led me bleed out over a sink for 10 minutes or so, then they stuffed my nose *again*, this time with “compostable” bandages that could be absorbed by the body. Well, not that amount they had put into my nose, so during the days that followed, the doctor removed them piece by piece with a long steel hook with which he was fishing in my nose, and I just prayed he would leave my eyes where they were.

    I don’t know how I got through these days. The headache was horrible, and my throat was raw because I could only breathe through my mouth. Somehow, I did, though, and you’ll do as well. Until then, I can feel your pain.

    • merf says:

      Oh my gosh, Kath, I feel like I just lived that experience with you. It sounds awful. When (if?) I have my nose surgery, I hope I don’t experience anything even remotely close to that.

      • Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you’re going to have nose surgery as well?!?!?!?!?! 😯 😯 😯 I’m so sorry! If I had known, I’d never have told you! Booooooooohooooooooo!!!!!!!!!! 😦

  5. Hannah says:

    Take care of yourself! Please don’t strain your throat by trying to do to much too soon. At the same time, I hope you continue to take strides in getting better 🙂

  6. Yay for spring! We had awesome weather this weekend, but it’s supposed to rain in a few days! BOO!

  7. Annalivia says:

    You had to go and link BBT off your blog? Can I sue you for lost productivity?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s