I’m on a minimalism and simplification kick, and I have to tell you I am LOVING IT so far. Last night I took on my bedside table/shelves. My husband and I moved into our house about five years ago. We love it, but there are a few things the previous owners did to the house that I would not have chosen. One example of that is the built-in shelves in the bedroom. As soon as I looked at them five years ago, I said to myself “uh oh, clutter magnet.” And sure enough, those shelves just beg me to put things on them. Constantly.
This is what they looked like last night when I started:
From the top here are the contents of the shelves:
- Top shelf I have two photos and an old anniversary card from my husband.
- Next shelf down I have two – not one, but two – heating pads, a battery-operated candle, a years’ worth of both Real Simple and Martha Stewart Living, and a pretty blue vase that I’ve never put a flower in.
- Next shelf down I have a green box filled with jewelry and a half-eaten bag of Skittles, some prescription medicine, some pretty-smelling bottles of spray stuff, another empty vase, and some paperback books.
- Below that we have a frame with my dangly earrings (none of which I wear), lip balm, jewelry box, another card, and a jewelry tree.
- On the bottom shelf we have a bunch of personal care stuff (most of which I don’t use), my iPhone charging alarm clock, tissues, a phone, and an outlet expander thingy.
- On the floor we have a pair of horrendous slippers that also clean the floor (no kidding), a box of junk, a laptop lap pad, and a Mac charger.
|After – ahhh.|